23 April 2008

Sweet Magnolia Blues

When I was living in Laurel, a song often played on one of the local radi o stations was "Sweet Magnolia Blues" by Paul Davis, who died yesterday. He was perhaps better known for other songs, but I always smiled at the thought of dilated cuticles.

When I was an undergraduate at Mississippi State University, I was a classmate of Greg Davis, who is running for Roger Wicker's old congressional seat. I didn't know Greg while at MSU (or now for that matter)1. It's good to see someone from the college trying to make a difference. He's going to have a tough time in the runoff election. Childers is an impressive candidate.

It looks like there will be a new biography of V.S. Naipaul coming out later this year. It's already out in the UK, and Paul Theroux has already reacted. The amazing thing is that it's an authorized biography considering the responses of reviewers. I'm looking forward to reading it when it's published. In the meantime, it looks like I have to content myself with Sir Vidia's Shadow-- at least when I get a chance to read it.

_________
1I did, however, campaign for Greg's opponent in the 1988 MSU student body president election.


4 Comments:

At 26 May, 2008 22:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find that song in some recorded fashion for a long time. Any ideas?

 
At 27 May, 2008 11:33, Blogger The Library Guy said...

A little hunting came up with some sites that have the single and album that the song came from "Southern Tracks and Fantasies," but the costs I've seem have been high (something like $40 for the single and $80 for the album).

 
At 29 June, 2009 15:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF YOUR STILL HUNTING SWEET MAGNOLIA BLUES.I HAVE IT AND SITTING HERE LAYING IT NOW AND WILL BE GLAD TO SEND IT TO YOU.

 
At 29 June, 2009 15:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IF YOUR STILL HUNTING SWEET MAGNOLIA BLUES.I HAVE IT AND SITTING HERE PLAYING IT NOW AND WILL BE GLAD TO SEND IT TO YOU FOR FREE.I HAVE A FEW OF PAUL DAVIS SONGS BUT I CAN GET MORE.E-MAIL ME AT TMONK0213@AOL.COM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home