25 June 2008

Playing the Game

I've been busy the past couple weeks. I had some projects that kept me busy.

Conferences. Presentations. Planning. Job Applying. Interviewing.

I gave a presentation for a conference last week. I thought I did well, and in the roundup at the end of the conference, it got good marks, which is way cool.

While I was preparing for that presentation, I noticed a post related to a job opening. It was a very good opportunity. Taking into consideration what I wrote in this previous entry, the position is located at a nice place, a nice job, and I know I would enjoy life.

The decision to apply for this position was an absolute no brainer. So I did.

I came in for an interview, and I did well. I wasn't offered the job, but was told that I impressed the committee.

My supervisor and dean are glad that I wasn't offered the job if only because that means that they don't have to train someone new. On the other hand, one colleague wanted me to get the job if only because she has designs on my office.

I understand. I also like my office.

Since I don't have to give any more presentations or prepare for a move, I've got to work more on my main summer project for the library. Maybe I can relax some too while keeping an eye open for another no brainer opportunity. After all, you can't win if you don't play.

4 Comments:

At 26 June, 2008 11:19, Blogger Supermom said...

When I spoke at the IT Security World Conference in San Fran a couple of years ago, I was such a nervous wreck as to how well I was 'rated' that I actually hung around after the session (which fortunately was directly before the lunch break) and went through all the comment sheets that were left in a box at the back of the room.

(wow... that was a really long sentence)

I had spoken many times locally and at state-wide conference But this was my first international conference so I was so nervous. I knew their remarks would make-or-break me getting asked back.

Fortunately they were all positive. The only negative one was I talked too fast (which I do, fair enough).

Also it was fortunate I did not get caught pawing through the sheets. That probably wouldn't have looked professional and may have played a factor in not being asked back.

I'm pleased to say that I have been invited back each year and will heading to San Fran in September to speak again.

OK.. this was all way TMI...

 
At 27 June, 2008 10:25, Blogger The Library Guy said...

I don't worry much about ratings or pleasing people when I make presentations. If people are there, it's because they're interested.

I communicate about what I've done or what we've done at the library and let the chips fall where they may. I had two different approaches in mind when making that presentation, and I wound up using the approach I didn't think I would do, and adding 1-2 other things on the spur of the moment because I had taken a quick poll of the audience members.

I don't think the spur of the moment decision helped my presentation that much, but went with it because some audience members were expecting something a little more basic than what I covered. I think the discussion my talk generated was very good, and any talk that generates discussion is good.

 
At 27 June, 2008 14:34, Blogger Supermom said...

Unfortunately most of my conferences folks are only there to get CPE. They are bored, disinterested and generally critical of speakers.

At a conference in Denver last year (as a participant not a speaker) I was appalled at the amount of participants all on their laptops tapping away while the speakers spoke.

It was distracting because the lights would be turned down for the power point so the glare of screens of laptops lit up the room. Also, the constant noise of key tapping made it impossible for those of us "un-wired" and trying to listen to do so.

It was so bad (on average 80% were on their laptops in each session) that I got exasperated on the final day and went by the information booth and complained rather sternly.

 
At 27 June, 2008 17:23, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Yeah, continuing education also attracted several people to this conference, which reminds me that I need to fill out a form so I can get some credit...

Laptop use in this conference isn't as big a issue though. In fact, it's almost encouraged, but nowhere near 80 percent of the audience were on computers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home