09 November 2006

Football Playoff Predictions, Year 2, Week 2

Continuing my predictions. I went 39-9 in my predictions last week. which is really good. My best predictions:

2A: Amite County and Bruce
3A: Charleston
4A: Brookhaven and Oxford

I predicted ten 3-seeds to advance to the second round. Eight advanced, and I predicted five of the 3-seeds.

Kudos to Hinds AHS and Booneville. The Bulldogs and Blue Devils are 4-seeds that have advanced to the second round. On to the predictions...

MHSAA Playoffs

Class 1A First Round
Greenville St. Joe, R2 #4 at Vardaman, R1 #1
East Oktibbeha, R1 #3 at Weir, R2 #2
West Oktibbeha, R1 #4 at Benoit Brooks, R2 #1
Mound Bayou, R2 #3 at East Webster, R1 #2
Bogue Chitto, R4 #4 at Puckett, R3 #1
St. Aloysius, R3 #3 at Mercy Cross, R4 #2
Nanih Waiya, R3 #4 at Mt. Olive, R4 #1
Cathedral, R4 #3 at Lake, R3 #2

I know I'll miss at least one here. I'm not picking a single upset in this round. The home teams advance.

Class 2A Second Round
Baldwyn, R1#1 at Bruce, R2 #3
Simmons, R4 #1 at Shaw, R3 #3
Okolona, R1 #2 at West Bolivar, R3 #1
Leland, R4 #2 at Calhoun City, R2 #1
Enterprise Clarke, R5 #1 at Amite County, R6 #3
East Marion, R8 #1 at Mize, R7 #3
Union, R5 #2 at Hinds AHS, R7 #4
Lumberton, R8 #2 at St. Andrew's, R6 #1

I went 13-3 in predicting 2A last week-- I missed the wins by Hinds AHS, Mize, and Shaw. I'm picking two upsets. I'm not all that sold on Enterprise. I think Amite County can take them at home. Lumberton, being the two-time defending Class 2A champ, is a school I don't like to pick against until they lose.

Class 3A Second Round
Independence, R3 #2 at Ripley, R1 #1
Amory, R2 #2 at Booneville, R1 #4
Senatobia, R3 #1 at Charleston, R4 #3
East Side R4 #2 at Nettleton, R2 #1
Tylertown, R7 #2 at SE Lauderdale, R5 #1
Hazlehurst, R6 #2 at Raleigh, R8 #1
Carthage, R5 #2 at Franklin County, R7 #1
Collins, R8 #2 at Yazoo County, R6 #1

12-4. I missed Independence, Booneville, East Side, and Carthage. I'm picking two upsets here. Collins and Tylertown over Yazoo County and SE Lauderdale. I wouldn't be surprised if Hazlehurst or Charleston won either.

Class 4A Second Round
West Point, R1 #1 at Oxford, R2 #3
Lafayette County, R2 #2 at Kosciusko, R4 #1
Shannon, R1 #2 at Yazoo City, R3 #1
Louisville, R4 #2 at Clarksdale, R2 #1
Wayne County, R5 #1 at Brookhaven, R6 #3
McComb, R6 #2 at Picayune, R8 #1
Forrest AHS, R7 #1 at Long Beach, R8 #3
Poplarville, R8 #2 at Terry, R6 #1

14-2. I missed the wins by Long Beach and Poplarville. I'm picking two upsets. I think Yazoo City will lose to Shannon. Lafayette County should defeat Kosciusko.

Class 5A First Round
Provine, R2 #4 at South Panola, R1 #1
Tupelo, R1 #3 at Clinton, R2 #2
Starkville, R1 #4 at NW Rankin, R2 #1
Madison Central, R2 #3 at Olive Branch, R1 #2
Pascagoula, R4 #4 at Oak Grove, R3 #1
Hattiesburg, R3 #3 at Moss Point, R4 #2
Brandon, R3 #4 at George County, R4 #1
Ocean Springs, R4 #3 at Meridian, R3 #2

Not picking an upset here. Hattiesburg and Ocean Springs are tempting choices, but I'll pass.

MPSA Playoffs

Class A First Round
Hebron Christian, D2 #2 at Bayou, D1 #1
Sharkey-Issaquena, D3 #2 at Benton, D4 #1
DeSoto, D1 #2 at Winona Christian, D2 #1
University Christian, D4 #2 at Briarfield, D3 #1
Huntington, D7 #2 at Wayne, D5 #1
Sylva-Bay., WC #2 at River Oaks, D8 #1
North Delta, WC #1 at Trinity Episcopal, D7 #1
Heidelberg, D5 #2 at Glenbrook, D8 #2

In academy ball, the best teams tend to win. Upsets are generally few and far between. Dark horse champions are rare. I cannot recall the last time that a school that wasn't a district champion won the MPSA Class A championship. I'm only choosing one upset-- and that's really a seeding issue. Huntington is a strong runnerup.

Class AA First Round
Central Hinds, D3 #2 at Delta, D1 #1
Indianola, WC-N #2 at Winston, D2 #1
Simpson, WC-N #1 at Leake, D3 #1
Lee (MS), D1 #2 at Kirk, D2 #2
Copiah, D5 #2 at Riverfield, D4 #1
Adams Christian, WC-S #2 at Bowling Green, D6 #1
Centreville, WC-S #1 at Brookhaven, D5 #1
Porters Chapel, D4 #2 at Central Private, D6 #2

Again, only one upset. I think Central Hinds has played a tougher schedule than Delta.

Class AAA First Round

Division II
Hillcrest Christian, D2 #2 at Magnolia Heights, D1 #1
Oak Hill, D1 #2 at Lamar, D2 #1

Again, no upsets, but Lamar did lose to Oak Hill in the regular season.

Division I
MRA, D2 #2 at Pillow, D1 #1
Washington, D1 #2 at Jackson Prep, D2 #1

I'm predicting an MRA-Prep final.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home