14 September 2006

Little Wild Bouquet

I'm sentimental, if you know what I mean
I love the country but I can't stand the scene.
And I'm neither left or right
I'm just staying home tonight,
getting lost in that hopeless little screen.
But I'm stubborn as those garbage bags
that Time cannot decay,
I'm junk but I'm still holding up
this little wild bouquet:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.



Thursday at the library was quite busy. I helped out a colleague with a project earlier this morning.

I also did quite a bit of interlibrary loan work. Now the fall semester is in full swing, we've been getting requests mostly from libraries within the state, but out-of-state libraries have sent us requests as well.

I've also got an email from a faculty member. Apparently, some books meant for the library collection somehow got shipped to her classroom, which meant that me and one of my student workers went over there to get them this afternoon. As it turned out, the timing was such that me and one of my colleagues had given one student worker separate orders and the student didn't know who to follow at first.

My colleague is also kind of living vicariously through book club. I've mentioned to her the books that we've read, and when I haven't, she's asked what we're reading. She loves the selections thus far, and is currently reading Ada (in her case re-reading, she's read it before). Her life is so busy that I know she doesn't have the time to attend meetings, and she knows she doesn't have the time to attend. (Yes, we've discussed book club.)

And now for something completely different, someone I don't know well (I'll call her Delta Lady, or DL for short, whose profile I ran across a few years ago when I was actively searching the yahoo personals-- hey, I was new in Jackson, and I didn't know many people) who I last communicated with via IM over a year and a half ago wanted me to be her yahoo messenger friend once again.

When we chatted several years ago, it was Seinfeldian. I don't know if we actually chatted about nothing, but it seemed like it at the time.

For several months before I bought my iBook, I didn't activate yahoo messenger on my old Gateway because for some reason it didn't interact properly with my computer. Before then, DL's requests for chats could often be annoying (she wanted to talk all the time, and I didn't feel like it). I often had to keep my profile invisible all the time just to keep her from initating chats with me.

The last time we chatted was shortly after I had acquired my iBook and reactivated my yahoo messenger account. After I reactivated the account back in February 2005, I removed from my friends list those people who I'd not communicated with via email for at least a year-- this was some 4-5 people, including DL. That same day, DL sent a chat message to me and wondered why I'd not been online.

I told DL I had problems with my yahoo messenger, got a new computer, and had removed from my friends list some people I'd not talked to in a while-- including her. That was over a year and a half ago, I had not heard from DL until she sent me a friend request sometime last night.

I didn't notice it until I had logged off the Internet. It was late and I needed to shut down the computer. I did, which apparently wiped out her friend request.

Oh well. I don't know why DL would want to send a friend request to me out of the blue unless she's desperate, which doesn't make any sense.

I'm tired. My workday was rather long. Study hall was quiet. The football game went well.

I need to sleep. I may still be up even if I had maybe four hours of sleep, but that's going to change soon enough.

2 Comments:

At 15 September, 2006 12:27, Blogger neola said...

ack! book club. had i known that the play would take away my time, i wouldn't have promised to interact. however, i am reading Ada and once the play runs and High Holidays end, i plan to be at a meeting--just in time for us to finish! :)

 
At 15 September, 2006 13:31, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Glad to hear you're reading Ada. When's the play? :-)

I've been scheduling some of my college responsibilities so they won't conflict with book club as much as possible. I don't have much of a life this semester, but I'm going to make sure that at least I have one! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home