20 October 2007

Third Saturday of Jacktober

Well, that was disappointing.

I watched the first half of the MSU - West Virginia game at the Alumni House in Ridgeland, and Mississippi State lost. Granted the loss wasn't surprising, but I didn't expect MSU to be trailing 28-0 in the first quarter. I was also surprised that Alabama won with ease against Tennessee today.

I'm at the house now. I'm a bit tired. I'm not planning on heading out again tonight. I think it'll be more likely that I fall asleep sometime around 10 p.m. this evening.

I did go to Jacktoberfest for a little while yesterday evening. I then went over to Borders in Flowood before heading over to Martin's last night. I got to be with friends for a little while, and it was good.

I checked out the Clarion-Ledger web site this morning and saw this gallery of photos taken at last night's Heidelberg Academy - Alpha Christian game. I graduated from Heidelberg many years ago. The photos are also available via the Hattiesburg American.

Alpha Christian is a predominantly African-American private school in Hattiesburg. If I recall correctly, it's a ministry of Mount Carmel Baptist Church. 2007 is their first year of high school football. Heidelberg won the game 24-20 and will play Wayne for the MPSA District 4-A title next week.1

I also noticed this AP story regarding a Barbour campaign hire, Earl Faggert. I've known him and his family for many years. No surprise, since he hails from my hometown.

He was my headmaster at Heidelberg Academy for most of the time I was there, and his wife was my fourth grade teacher. He's also a very good science teacher.

I took classes from him whenever I could. His classes had the reputation of being tough, but I did well in them.

_________
1Yes, those are Confederate Battle Flag emblems affixed to the Heidelberg helmets. I suppose if you must blame someone, blame Archie Manning and Johnny Vaught. The football team voted on the colors and mascot in 1970.

2 Comments:

At 24 October, 2007 00:48, Blogger Andy said...

Jacktoberfest completely surprised me. I noticed it happening during lunch that Friday, but didn't feel like hanging around. Besides, drinking and coding may not be the best thing to do.

 
At 24 October, 2007 14:55, Blogger The Library Guy said...

But you missed out on the bratwurst...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home