01 January 2006

The Week in Review

I've been a bit busy over the past few days. I had to work for a couple days last week. I have to be back at work tomorrow.

The past week went well I believe. After working on Monday, I got a haircut at Northpark Barber Shop and then went to Cups to relax and read a little of Midnight's Children. When I arrived, I saw that TD, FP, and Otherjay were there. We chatted for a little while and made arrangements to meet later downtown.

I read a couple chapters of the book and then went downtown and met up with TD & OJ. We talked for awhile and then went to Bucky's. I had to be at work at 8, so I couldn't stay too long and left just at the same time as L'Archie arrived.

It was good to see OJ. I'd not seen him since this past summer. The way my schedule's been I wasn't sure if I'd get a chance this past week.

After working Tuesday, I went to Cups for a little while and then to Hal & Mal's for the NMAS show. I got there really early. I like to get there early enough to get a bite to eat and a good parking spot, and so I did.

I ran into Chris Chew before the concert-- I've mentioned this before, but he knows me as the Librarian. Every time he sees me he calls me Librarian. We exchanged pleasantries and then he went back to the bus to take a nap.

After I finished eating, I walked across the street to Don's. I had three beers and relaxed until the doors opened.

I went back across the street to Hal & Mal's a little before 9 p.m. I already knew it was a young crowd. I didn't see any of the Jacksonian regulars who normally show up. I saw some people from Vicksburg who've been at previous NMAS shows in Jackson, but it was predominantly a college-age crowd.

Burnside Exploration opened. I've heard them perform before and they've previously opened for the Allstars. They put on a great show.

The Allstars came on at 10... They opened with songs from Electric Blue Watermelon. Luther was playing "Mississippi Boll Weevil" with a cigar box guitar. The only other person in recent years I've seen use a cigar box guitar has been Richard Johnston.

After "Boll Weevil," Luther switched guitars. It seemed like the first part of the show was all-EBW, and then songs from previous albums were in the second part. I believe there were two EBW songs in the second part of the show. One was "Bang Bang Lulu." I cannot remember if the second song was "Moonshine" or something else.

Near the end of the show, a petite college girl is trying to get to the front, but she can't see the show. I figure-- that hell, I've seen the Allstars perform before and have been up close to the front (and at the front, a few times) so I offer to let her sit on my shoulders so she can see the show without obstruction.

A few minutes afterwards, two guys get the same idea, but they had a more difficult time since the guy that was on the shoulders was at least twice the weight of Petite College Girl.

She was able to see NMAS perform the last song as well as the encore songs. She was also able shake hands with Chris and Cody (I believe) when they finished their encores.

Afterwards Petite College Girl's friend offered to help me get her down, but there were still bunches of people around (and beer bottles on the floor), and so I said that we'd go over to the seats at the side (think seating like at a men's dormitory common area in front of a TV). So I walked over there, sat down, and she then sat down. I think Petite College Girl had fun. She thanked me after all.

I talked to Chris and his cousin briefly after the show. I've seen her at previous shows and she also comes on to the stage and sings "Freedom Highway" at Jackson shows as well as the show I saw early last year at Starkville.

Afterwards, I went across the street to Martin's. I was parched. I didn't have anything to drink during the show, so I had some diet coke. I talked to some friends and relaxed while people were leaving the area. I finally left Martin's around 1:45.

I went to bed at about 3 a.m. About six hours later, I get a phone call from my dentist's office reminding me about my 3 p.m. appointment in Laurel. I go back to sleep for another hour and a half.

I get up at 10:30. I check the email. I surf the net. I take a shower and run some errands in Clinton. I go to the bank. I go to a local Chinese all-you-can-eat place and eat.

I make it back to the house at 12:30 p.m. I pack up stuff and get ready to head off for Laurel. I leave shortly after 1 p.m.

I stop by the McDonald's in Magee a little before 2 p.m. I get a Filet-o-Fish, large fries, and a large Chocolate Shake. I take Highway 28 to Laurel.

I drive through Mize, Taylorsville, Summerland, and Gitano. I drive by the turn off to the farm where my mother grew up in Jones County. I drive through Soso. I pull on to Highway 84 and then take a left at Highway 15. I turn right at Old Amy (that's a road, not a woman).

Dental appointment complete, I make arrangements for another dental appointment this month for a crown. I then drive to K & T's house-- I've known them for almost eight years now. I give them belated Xmas gifts. I visit with them for an hour or so and then make my way to my mother's house in Canebrake.

I arrive at Canebrake a little after 6:45 that evening. I'm pretty much lazy for the next few days. I do some errands around the house, but other than that-- not much else.

I leave my mother's house a little after 5:30 New Year's Eve. She knows I'm heading up to attend a party, and she got really concerned especially after the obligatory New Years Drunk Driving Story appeared on NBC Nightly News. She asks me to send her an email when I made it back from the party.

I make it to Clinton a little after 7:30 p.m. I get ready for the party. I don suit and tie and drive to Jackson. I arrive a little after 8:30 p.m. The party starts at 8. I'm not the first person there, but believe I'm one of the first five.

I see the Glamorous One. She-- of course-- looks glamorous. I see Jaysus. I see Mary. Marcia. Puggy. The Giant. I see a lot of my friends and acquaintances. I have fun. More friends and acquaintances and friends and acquaintances of friends show up. TD, LA, DT, Bucky. As normal, I don't do a lot of talking-- when I do, it's mostly one-on-one.

Midnight. It's 2006. Happy New Year.

I leave the party at 1:15. I'm one of the last people to leave. Most people had left by 1 a.m. I make it back to the house a little before 1:45. I surf the net. Yes, I send my mother an email.

I go to bed at 3:45. I sleep. I wake up at 12. I surf the net. I get a bite to eat. I have to be at work tomorrow.

On Tuesday, there's convocation and book club.

On Wednesday, I'll be working a bit later-- we've got to stay open later because of registration. I'll either be working registration or covering for one of my colleagues.

I've got a doctor's appointment Thursday afternoon. I've got an eye exam after work, and so I'll drive over to Ridgeland.

Friday? Who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home