18 December 2005

The Weekend

The weekend was fun. Personally, it was the usual mix of introversion and extroversion.

At one of the Christmas parties last week, I was given a Borders gift certificate. It contributed to purchasing Stag: A Story of Coming of Age in a Bar.



After dinner, I read this book while drinking coffee Friday evening at Cups. I thought it was pretty good. I'm nearly ten years older than the main character in this book and certainly no alcoholic, but there's some things that came to my mind when reading this book. I might go into some more detail in a later post.

Anyway, I'm one of the older people (if not the oldest) who goes out with a group of folks here in the Jackson area. A lot of us have similar interests-- this one is an example. Invariably, when I go to Hal & Mal's or Don's, I'll see a few of my friends there. They're fabulous people. Intelligent. Smart. Open. They make me feel welcome.

And involved. While I'm comfortable in the background, I also like being involved.

When I finished reading the book Friday night, I went to Don's. I got there a little after 11 p.m. The place was packed. I saw many friends and acquaintances. I sat down at a table with Bucky, TD, D Trane, and FP. Music from the '80s was playing. FP felt like dancing and so everyone at the table danced.

It was good to dance. I felt involved and welcome. As I've mentioned previously, I've always had a bit of a shell around me. I don't know if it will ever go away, but I feel good when I'm involved.

I had a great time.

I went to my mother's house in Canebrake the following afternoon. I've watched some football games. I spent the night.

I'm still over in Canebrake, but will be heading up to Clinton soon. I need to be at work tomorrow morning. I'll be working Monday and Tuesday and then I'll head back down to Hattiesburg for Christmas on Wednesday or perhaps Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home