05 August 2007

More Farewells

It's three a.m. I'm in Clinton.

I just made it back from a couple of farewell shindigs-- FP's and WCDon's. The Tuff Luvs played the final show at WCDon's. It was cool.

As I told Otherjay Jaysus, all I care about when I go out is the people. To me, the people determine what a bar is like.

I'm disappointed that Don's is closed, but what disappoints me more is that there really isn't a local small bar where people go to socialize. Someplace that's not home, that's not work, and that's not church. Someplace like the bar J.R. Moehringer describes, and from what I've been told, Martin's used to be.1

It was good to see FP, TD, LA, and SS at Last Call. I was a bit surprised not to see Satsuma. It was good to socialize with them. I'd not been to Last Call before. Not a bad place.

I was glad I was able to make it. I had left Canebrake at 8 p.m., and I didn't know if I was going to leave.

I wanted to, but I had a headache. I took some aspirin and slept for about an hour. My mother woke me up shortly before 8 p.m. I left 10 minutes later.

I did have fun in Hattiesburg. I met up with a friend and her fiance. I got an invitation to their wedding in a few months at the Virgin Islands.

...zzz...


Okay, I fell asleep. I needed to sleep.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the wedding invitation. I plan on going. That means that I really need to renew my passport.

The planned wedding schedule is doable and very surprisingly affordable. Since my job is classified as a college administration post, it's much easier for me to get away than it would be, say, for a member of the college faculty. I hate going to weddings stag though.

While I've mentioned to friends many times that I don't expect that I'll ever be married, I don't like being alone. I was sad when Coppertop left earlier this summer, and FP's upcoming departure also makes me sad. When friends move, I can't help but think that my life has become emptier.2

Now, I think I'm going to go to the gym. I need to work out a little bit. Then, I'm going to go get some dinner, or to be more precise, breakfast since I've not yet eaten today.

_________
1Fenian's is probably the closest to such a bar in Jackson, but I don't know if the place would really qualify since it's as much as a place for people to enjoy Celtic music and culture as it is a neighborhood bar. While I like Celtic music and arts, I know people who aren't interested.

2Yes, I am a half-empty as opposed to a half-full kind of guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home