11 July 2007

"There is no trap so deadly as the trap you set for yourself."

We met last night to discuss The Long Goodbye.1 We were all impressed by Chandler and wanted to read more by him.

I think what we all liked was the way Chandler wrote. I also liked the fact that it seemed like that with this book every character served a purpose, so now we have another author to read.

After talking about the book, we got into a discussion over what modern actor would be a good Marlowe. This actor came to mind.

Yep. Billy Bob Thornton.

Somehow we also got to talking about the character of Candy.

I mentioned (and Satsuma agreed) that the first person to come to my mind when I imagined Candy was that guy from Boogie Nights.

Checking IMDB.com... Luis Guzmán.

As most of you who read my blog know by now, I selected Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis to be the next book club read.

So far, it looks like there's been general approval of my choice. I was asked last night why I chose the book. Satsuma had known that I was seriously considering this Graham Greene book.

I did come up with a cool icon to represent me though.

For several years I've had a fondness for novels with an academic setting such as Richard Russo's Straight Man and Jane Smiley's Moo. For what it's worth, I prefer the Smiley book if only because the fictional university in her book reminded me a lot of Mississippi State University, where I earned my B.A. and M.A.

I've also been known to email links to articles and columns that are found in The Chronicle of Higher Education. A few weeks ago, I was at the website and noticed this article. Initially intrigued, I did some further research. I liked what I read about the book and thought it'd be good.

_________
1Significant portions of this blogpost were first posted here.

1 Comments:

At 11 July, 2007 15:54, Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Cow likes the sound of the "Moo" book.

Admits though the Billy Bob as Marlowe makes her want to puke. Bogie is just the only way to go.

The plotting wasn't what caught Cow's attention so much in the Chandler books as the careful, poetic way he crafted his sentences, especially the first and last paragraphs of every book.

If you read more by Chandler (caution, spoiler)
You'll notice that every single book the murder/bad person is a woman.

Moo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home