08 July 2007

New York Discovers Librarians Are Hip

Now we know what Parker Posey hath wrought. TD emailed me a link to a New York Times article about hip librarians. He was amused because it mentioned guybrarians, and I've been called a guybrarian before-- maybe even still today.

The article mentioned Jessamyn West and Unshelved, and I subscribe to both of their web sites. I've met and bought books and shirts from the Unshelved folks. They're good people. On Jessamyn's site, I noticed she also included a link to this New York Sun article.

I suppose librarians will be considered hip in Mississippi in about 2-3 years. I don't know if I'm hip, but I do have a soul patch.

7 Comments:

At 08 July, 2007 17:25, Blogger Supermom said...

It's hip to be square! :)

 
At 08 July, 2007 17:39, Blogger Supermom said...

I know someone I consider a great friend that is a librarian. She used to be considered a big stiff. But in later years, she has proven to me to be a huge laugh. I count her as a friend.

 
At 09 July, 2007 09:14, Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

Cow spent two years studying and receiving the Master of Leaf Science degree (MLS) so is qualified to speak to this issue of "hipness."

For the record, this Cow is not hip. Thigh maybe but not hip.

Cow doesn't work in the library field anymore though so maybe she's out of touch.

Moo!

 
At 09 July, 2007 09:15, Blogger The Topiary Cow said...

BTW, Cow has been meaning to, with a gentle moo, comment that unless spam is really a problem on Library Guy's blog, that he send to the bottom of the ocean the requirement to type in word verification on his blog to be able to post.

It's a pain in the hip, butt and thigh.....

Just Cow's personal opinion.

Moo!

 
At 09 July, 2007 09:26, Blogger The Library Guy said...

While I also like to think it's hip to be square, there's been negative reaction to the article by other people. I'll post about it shortly.

As Cow has guessed, I have had a problem with spammers in the past, which is why I use the sometimes painful word verification.

 
At 10 July, 2007 10:06, Blogger Andy said...

The thought of you and hip frightens and confuses me.

 
At 10 July, 2007 10:14, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Personally I blame Rooney.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home