18 May 2006

Nightshade

I recently read Nightshade by Jack Butler. One read isn't enough for this book. I'd like to read it again and again. Unfortunately, the copy I'm reading has to be returned fairly soon, so these comments would be best described as being initial thoughts.

I guess the best way to describe Nightshade is that it's a science fiction novel and the lead protagonist is a Vampire/rancher, but somehow the vampirism doesn't matter. Professor Fury had stated that there more similarities than one would expect between Nightshade and Jujitsu for Christ.

There's at least one reference to Shade being acquainted with the author of Jujitsu for Christ. There are some pop culture references-- something you wouldn't normally expect from a science fiction novel taking place in a future Mars. However, when your lead character is a vampire who grew up in the United States, you have your references.

There's his computerized sidekick (I'm not going to call him a robot), janglers (think Cyberpunk here), and ranchers. There's revolution.

The use of language is interesting. I'm glad Butler included a glossary. I didn't expect to see sphincter used as a verb in the book. I thought it was amusing.

Impressions-- as previously mentioned, one read really is not enough for the book. I like the way Butler writes. There's a certain style. Unlike Jujitsu for Christ, it most definitely is not a quick read. I believe I'll be purchasing a used copy of the book online pretty soon. It's intriguing and meant to be read more than once.

Next up: Army of Shadows by Joseph Kessel. I believe I had first heard of the book a couple of weeks ago when I was reading a David Ansen article about the movie, which was based on the book. It seemed interesting, so I looked to see if the book was available via interlibrary loan. And it is.

••••••


Links of interest:
Film Forum
David Ansen article on the film

Also, there's an article about the movie in the May-June 2006 issue of Film Comment. Mississippians may have access via Magnolia.

2 Comments:

At 23 May, 2006 11:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Butler has suggested (in an article somewhere) that Marcus is in fact the narrator of Nightshade (as well as J4C, obviously)--so there may be a way to read the novel as a continuation/development/complication/critique of some of the ideas raised in J4C.

Now mush! mush! on to Living in Little Rock! I'll increase Butler's audience one disciple at a time!

Really, I need another hobby.

 
At 23 May, 2006 17:38, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Marcus is the narrator of Nightshade? Now I know I need to reread the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home