05 May 2006

The End of the Semester

I arrived at the college a little bit later than usual today. What with the storms coming through during the night and into the morning, it usually takes me a little bit longer to get to work.

The college's bookstore is located in a building adjacent to the library. I saw a lot of people in line. The end of the semester is commemorated not only by the taking of final exams, but also the buying back of books by the college's bookstore.

A couple of students who work in the library sold their books back to the bookstore yesterday. One waited for a couple hours to sell her books. The other's wait wasn't nearly as long-- only fifteen minutes.

When I was a college student, long lines were the norm-- whether it was for registration or for dealings with the bookstore. There were times when I knew that I had to suffer through long lines at registration and decided to postpone registration until early the following morning. College students, many of whom being nocturnal creatures, aren't fond of taking classes at 8 a.m. much less registering for class when sleep is a better, more cherished necessity.

A library staff worker is having her retirement reception this afternoon. I can't make it. I've got to provide coverage at the reference desk for people who will be at the reception. I'm sure I'll see her at tonight's employee appreciation dinner since the program also honors people retiring.

2 Comments:

At 06 May, 2006 10:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when school's out, can I come wander the stacks? Or do you guys have any wanderable stacks?

 
At 06 May, 2006 16:19, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Yeah, you can wander. We have different hours between the semesters. Except for Tuesday night, we're not open during the evenings.

I keep inviting you here for some lunch. You need to come by again sometime when school starts for the fall semester.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home