02 May 2006

Jujitsu for Christ

This past weekend in between carrying out huge heavy pots at my mother's shop, I was reading The Master and Margarita and Jujitsu for Christ. I've not finished M&M, but I think it's an easier read than I had anticipated.

Another easy read is Jujitsu for Christ, which is written by Jack Butler. The folks over at Pretty Fakes talked about the book, and it looked interesting, so I read it.

Impressions... I liked it. It's very much a typical southern novel what with religion playing a major role, but there's also other cultural aspects explored. I won't do as good of a job of discussing it as was done at Pretty Fakes.

I did like the book enough to order Nightshade via interlibrary loan. That's going to be my next pleasure read. I'll be reading that and M&M.

When I returned Jujitsu to the library, one of my colleagues saw the book and was intrigued. When she noticed that Butler was also a Mississippian, she mentioned to me that we needed to request some more of his books for the library.

4 Comments:

At 07 May, 2006 21:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo, Guy-brarian--glad you enjoyed J4C. I'd quibble with the notion that it's a "typical southern novel," but then, I've already filled many screens with my quibbling. I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about Nightshade. I think it's a great book, and not as unconnected to J4C as its subject matter might seem to indicate.

And yeah, yer library needs some Butler books, dagnabit.

 
At 08 May, 2006 18:24, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Well, I'll admit to being a little glib with my "typical southern novel" quote. I'll post something about Nightshade when I finish, and we will be ordering more Butler books if they're in print.

 
At 09 May, 2006 16:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas--nary a one of them is in print, at least right now.

 
At 09 May, 2006 22:11, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Well, that sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home