06 October 2005

Yet Another Book Post

What else would you expect? I'm a librarian after all.

One of my responsibilities at the library is book ordering. In the past couple weeks, I finally got a chance to do just that for this fiscal year.

A couple weeks ago, I helped a student who was looking for a star-gazing book. While helping him, I thought the collection might benefit from some newer astronomy books. So I did some research. A little bit later, I thought of C, a usenet pal of mine who's an astronomy prof. So I sent him an email.

Here's the very first book he recommended-- he said it was appropriate for everyone and gives them as gifts. He also encouraged me to buy a copy for myself. He & a colleague of his made additional recommendations.

And yes, I ordered the book. Libraries-- whether they're public, school, or collegiate-- always need more Curious George.

A co-worker also handed me record slips of books requested. I've been going through them and made requests based on interest and availability.

Here's something I ordered last fiscal year. These examples of art-- whether they're associated with anime, manga, or graphic novels-- are subjects of interest.

At the book club meeting last week, I was asked what type of book I would be choosing when it was my turn to select. My usual book club m.o. is to pick a book that is a change of pace and would offset other selections. I mentioned I would likely pick a comedic novel. I still don't know which one. I could change my focus some and select this Will Eisner graphic novel. It would be certainly be different. But just because it's different doesn't mean that it'd be a good choice though. I have authors in mind though.

8 Comments:

At 07 October, 2005 11:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

H.A Rey's book is a great one - I've got two copies. If you want any more in that line, Terrence Dickinson's Nightwatch is very good, as are the books by Phil Harrington.

 
At 07 October, 2005 11:22, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Rey is awesome. He's got sets of constellation charts intended for what turned out to be an unfinished book called "The Road Atlas of the Sky."

Unfortunately his eyesight had declined, which is why he wasn't able to finish the book. These charts are part of the H.A. & Margret Rey Papers at the University of Southern Mississippi's De Grummond Children's Literature Collection.

 
At 10 October, 2005 14:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW - did I mentioned how insulted I feel? It's common knowledge that astronomy profs are close to useless for stargazing info. Amateur astronomers are your source for that type of info ;-)

 
At 11 October, 2005 09:28, Blogger The Library Guy said...

But you never tell us about all these killer asteroids and meteors... ;-)

 
At 11 October, 2005 10:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want you to be worried - if you knew how many killer asteroids were up there -- and that's not including all the Tang tops left behind in the 60s - you'd never feel safe again!

 
At 11 October, 2005 14:37, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Tang tops! The horror, the horror...

 
At 11 November, 2005 09:30, Blogger Polly said...

Contract with God, as you may know, started the idea of a graphic novel. well, actually, some marketing department came up with that name, but Will Eisner started the extended format. i bought this a few years ago, started reading it, liked it, and promptly lost my copy. I cannot give you a good review, sadly.

 
At 11 November, 2005 09:54, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Yeah. I've read and am aware of the history surrounding Contract with God. I've considered purchasing it for the library for that very reason, but haven't yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home