13 September 2005

Obituaries

When I read newspapers and newspaper web sites, I sometimes scan the obituary notices. Nearly a couple months ago, I scanned a Clarion-Ledger obit and noticed one that got my attention. I emailed one of the columnists to confirm what I had thought.

He thanked me for giving him the idea to write this column. I didn't think anything would come of it. I was just curious.

A couple weeks ago, Katrina struck Laurel hard. The Laurel Leader-Call had not updated its website for several days because of the hurricane. The first day I noticed that the newspaper website had been updated, I checked the news stories and then the obituaries.

Among the obituaries was this man's (free registration is required). If the name looks somewhat familiar, you can always do a google search.

Checking today's Hattiesburg American, it saddened me to see this obituary. Dr. Gonzales taught at USM for over fifty years. I didn't take any of his classes though. I don't believe any of his classes were available for graduate students when I was a student.

2 Comments:

At 14 September, 2005 09:56, Blogger The Diplomat said...

Props on the cleveland article. nice story.

 
At 14 September, 2005 19:05, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Yeah, it is. I really like his writing. Regarding the coach: some details were a bit foggy in my mind initially. It took me a little while to recall that the coach was in a wheelchair. It jarred loose during the course of our email correspondence. I'm a bit surprised I remembered it considering that it happened nearly 17 years ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home