10 June 2007

Drained

I'm drained.

After being out in the sun for two consecutive days seeing two baseball games, I am drained. Temperatures in the nineties. The heat index approaching 100.

Sunscreen getting in one of my eyes, irritating it from just before the game for several hours. Suffering through some unexpected sinus travails, and for what? To be part in the crowd of 13,715 ready to unleash their emotions like a freed Paris Hilton.

Being a fan of Mississippi State athletics is often trying, so success, when it occurs, feels great, which reminds me...

After Friday's game, I was walking to my car. There were three coeds nearby going in the same direction.

One of them was very ecstatic. She referred to Omaha as The Big O! Her friends were grinning, doing their best not to laugh for obvious reasons.

And I understand. I've been at previous regionals at Dudy Noble Field, and when MSU has advanced to Omaha in my presence-- 1979, 1990, 1997, and now 2007-- it's been, as Kyle Veazey has put it, sweet, wonderful chaos.

I'm drained, yes, but it's a sweet, wonderful, and yes, chaotic draining.

3 Comments:

At 10 June, 2007 23:37, Blogger Polly said...

as a child growing up, baseball always seemed like a sport played far far away from me. I got into it more in college, but I think the last 10 years or so has helped me to be more of a fan. After my time at Tulane, I've had a team (MSU or Tulane) at Omaha about every other year for a decade now.

This summer i've found myself thinking about seeing a pro game by the end of everyday at work. sometimes any game will do. I don't know if i can fully explain why.

 
At 11 June, 2007 15:38, Blogger Polly said...

i just realized i hadn't added you onto my links list on the ole blog. sorry about that! i thought you'd been there for a while!

 
At 11 June, 2007 19:30, Blogger The Library Guy said...

I'm finally getting around to responding. I like to see some major league baseball games every now and then. I think the last time I went to a major league game was 2004 when I saw Houston and Cincinnati play.

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home