31 July 2006

It's My Funeral

I suppose I can't help but think about funerals considering that it's been less than two weeks since my uncle's death. I've been to quite a few funerals in my thirty-nine years of living.

The great majority of the funerals that I've attended have been either open or closed casket funerals. My father's funeral was the first one I had attended in which cremation was involved. It was also the first funeral in which no minister was involved. My mother's brother-in-law, a retired English professor, delivered the eulogy.

Almost a year ago I was chatting with friends via a e-mailing list about funerals. Here's what I wrote:

I think I want my funeral to be at a bar with beer, liquor, and barbecue to be served. Considering my desire for cremation, I think the food offering would be apropos.

After revisiting what I wrote last year, the only other thing I'd like to add is that I want music-- either blues or jazz. I think it would be a cool funeral, which I suppose would be an oxymoron, but I want people to have fun, smile, laugh, and enjoy life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home