29 November 2005

Football Playoff Predictions, Week 4

I'm posting my predictions earlier than normal because the MPSA schools begin playing their championship games on Thursday. I went 18-2 last week in my predictions and am now 86 for 112 for the playoffs thus far-- a .768 percentage.

MPSA Finals at Mississippi College

Class A
D1 #1 Lee, Ark. vs. D7 #1 River Oaks

I expected Porter's Chapel to represent the North, but am not all that surprised to see Lee make it to the finals. Lee was the Class A runnerup last year. River Oaks is making its first championship appearance. I saw River Oaks play this season. The Mustangs are a real good Academy A team. I expect them to win in the early afternoon game on Thursday.

Class AA
D2 #1 Simpson vs. D3 #1 Copiah

Simpson is the two-time Class AA champion. Copiah is making their first appearance in a championship game since they won their second consecutive Class AA title in 1981. I've not picked Copiah to win in any of their two previous playoff games and they've won. I'm not picking Copiah this time in the Thursday night game.

Class AAA, Division II
D1 #1 Starkville Aca. vs. D1 #2 Heritage

The Volunteers and Patriots play for the Division II title Friday afternoon. Starkville's a good AAA team & should win the title.

Class AAA, Division I
D1 #1 JA vs. D2 #1 Jackson Prep

The Friday night game. JA versus Prep-- yet again. How many years in a row has it been that these two schools have played each other for the title? It's gotten easier what with this divisional format. Expect the Raiders to be victorious.

MHSAA Semifinals

Class 1A
R2 #2 Coffeeville @ R2 #1 Ray Brooks
R4 #1 Mount Olive @ R4 #2 St. John

With Mize moving up to Class 2A, quite a few people thought that Mount Olive had a good shot at being the South representative. I'm one of them. Weir, a perennial 1A power, found the going tough this season losing to both Brooks and Coffeeville. With Brooks playing at home, expect the home team to win.

Class 2A
R4 #1 Simmons @ R3 #1 West Bolivar
R8 #3 Perry Central @ R8 #1 Lumberton

I'll give the edge to West Bolivar thanks to their home field advantage for the North State title. As far as the South State champs are concerned, it looks like it'll be Lumberton. Hats off to Perry Central though for being the lowest seeded school to make the semifinals and for defeating two #1 seeds-- Heidelberg and Philadelphia.

Class 3A
R3 #1 Senatobia @ R4 #1 Charleston
R7 #1 South Pike @ R6 #1 Hazlehurst

I'm predicting Charleston to end the reign of the defending 3A champions Senatobia in the North State Finals. South Pike has long been picked to be the South representative. Hazlehurst has been impressive this season, but I believe that their season will end Friday night.

Class 4A
R2 #1 Oxford @ R1 #1 West Point
R5 #2 West Jones @ R5 #1 Wayne County

A lot of people have been predicting a West Point-Wayne County matchup for the 4A title. Well, I think Oxford might just win the North State title. Wayne County has been a tough, impressive team. I expect to see a rematch of the 2003 Class 4A championship game.

Class 5A
R1 #2 Olive Branch @ R1 #1 South Panola
R3 #1 Oak Grove @ R3 #2 Meridian

My rule of thumb when predicting 5A games is pretty simple: Pick South Panola. The Oak Grove-Meridian game should be pretty close. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wildcats pull off the upset over the Warriors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home