26 November 2005

Thanksgiving Escapist Reading

I checked out some books from the public libraries (one from Clinton, the rest from Welty). I read a couple of them Wednesday and Thursday. Here's my thoughts.



End of the Beginning is in many ways a typical Harry Turtledove alternative history. In this Turtledove's skewed book series, the Japanese don't just bomb Pearl Harbor, they invade & take Hawaii. This particular book concerns the American response to Japan's invasion, Japanese life in Hawaii, and the lives of the Hawaiians-- whether they're native Hawaiians, haoles, or Asians.

End is an okay book. This particular series is nothing like his WorldWar series or his classic Guns of the South, but is pretty good. Hopefully, the next book in this series will have something more to offer.



Thud! is the thirtieth book in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. A Pratchett Discworld novel is always enjoyable. This particular book centers on Sam Vines and the Watch and their efforts to keep the peace between the Dwarfs and Trolls.

The only things that detracted were a few misspelled words in the first part of the book. Another copy editor would have been nice. But all in all, an excellent diversion.

3 Comments:

At 28 November, 2005 10:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know the second Japan-in-Hawaii book was out. Off to the library go I....

 
At 28 November, 2005 10:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'm guessing you have the copy from Clinton. Shoot me a note when you turn it in so I can go frab it.

 
At 28 November, 2005 13:25, Blogger The Library Guy said...

I checked the Turtledove book out from Welty. The Pratchett book (can't believe I said "Vines" instead of "Vimes") was the one checked out from Clinton. I'll be turning them in tomorrow after work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home