14 April 2006

Anansi Boys, Uncle Remus, & Song of the South...

I finally finished reading Anansi Boys today. Finally, time to get some pleasure reading done after working for months on the Project.

Having previously read American Gods, I'd been looking forward to Anansi Boys, and I wasn't disappointed. Definitely recommended. I liked the characters of Fat Charlie and Spider.

Incidentally, I dug up a little information on Anansi. I didn't know that Anansi stories were part of African-American folktales that Joel Chandler Harris was successful in popularizing in his Uncle Remus stories.

The stories were later adapted to film by Walt Disney. I remember seeing the movie when it was last re-released in the US 20 years ago. According to Disney CEO Robert Iger, it won't be re-released in the US anytime in the near future because of "the sensitivity that exists in our culture."

Now, on to A Feast for Crows.

2 Comments:

At 15 April, 2006 10:34, Blogger librarian pirate said...

A Feast for Crows is fantastic so far. It took me a chapter or two to get back into that universe, but then I was hooked.

We have the exact same pleasure reading, only in the opposite order! I'm almost done with A Feast for Crows, and then I'm going on to Anansi Boys. I say it all the time, but Neil Gaiman and I are having a torrid affair - he just doesn't know it! (:

 
At 15 April, 2006 18:58, Blogger The Library Guy said...

It's a surprisingly quick read thus far. I started this morning and have read some 400 pages so far. I'm a bit of a speed reader as you may have guessed.

I didn't know what to expect, but so far I like what I read considering the structure of this book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home