20 August 2005

Football Season

In addition to my regular gig, I help out some friends in Laurel who own & operate a high school sports newspaper-- covering mostly football.

This afternoon, I left my mother's house & went to my friends' house in Laurel. K's suv was blocked in by another guest & I had plenty of gas in the Accord, so I said I'd drive.

And so we headed off to Waynesboro for the Presbyterian Christian - Wayne Academy game. We arrived a little before 7:30. The game had actually started at 7. We weren't doing any game stories-- so no big deal. We identify ourselves & walk in to the game.

We get to the home sidelines & the first quarter is nearly over. The Jaguars (that's Wayne) were leading 6-0. It was pretty humid, but no big deal. K takes photos. I serve as her caddy-- carrying her camera case & notebook.

In many ways, it was a typical season-opening game. It was pretty apparent that even though Wayne was leading that PCS's Bobcats wouldn't allow much to happen. It was a defensive-oriented game. Mistakes. Turnovers. I saw & briefly spoke to some people I knew-- Wayne's team doctor is a friend. Our parents knew each other for many years. Also one of Wayne's former football players-- a cousin's stepson's cousin.

Presbyterian scores before halftime, but misses the extra point. The game is tied.

Halftime. K & I go to the other side of the field. She likes to do a cheerleader feature. As it turns out, one of the cheerleaders is the daughter of a professional colleague. I make small talk with my colleague. I also talk to one of the Presbyterian statisticians. I'd attended a couple of their games last season-- a loss at Jackson Prep & a loss to Copiah at M.M. Roberts.

Second half. Back on the Wayne sidelines. PCS intercepts a Wayne pass & later scores. The two-point conversion is successful.

Defense is still paramount. The Jaguars put together a nice little drive, but are stopped. PCS has the ball late in the game and drive the ball. K's mission successful-- photos taken, etc., we leave with less than two minutes to go in the game.

I drive to Laurel. After stopping off at McAlister's and picking up a couple sandwiches and a cup of their famous sweet tea, we arrive at my friends' house. We eat, chat, & visit for about an hour. The local TV station gives the score of the game-- Presbyterian Christian 14, Wayne 6. Then I leave for Canebrake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home