17 August 2005

Socializing in Jackson

Bucky & T.D. posted in the past three weeks their thoughts and memories regarding some of the bars here in Jackson. I meant to add a comment, but never got a chance, but since I have a few days off, I'll post some few belated things.

Unlike Bucky & T.D., I didn't grow up in Jackson. My grandmother, uncle & aunt, and first cousins lived here. I came over to visit every so often. My first experience with bars in Jackson was Hal & Mal's. I was doing research for my MA history thesis. I went over to Hal & Mal's for lunch.

My second experience was shortly after I had gotten my MLS degree. I had a temp job working at a local law firm in their library. I often ate lunch at George Street Grocery. I usually ate at the bar. Serving at the bar was a guy named Puddin. Nice guy. A few months after the temp job ended, he was killed. That really saddened me.

Five years ago, I'm offered a position where I currently work and so I move here to the area. By then, my grandmother had died. There was just my uncle & aunt and first cousins-- and I hardly ever see my cousins. So it's like what is there for a single guy from smalltown Mississippi to do?

Being the sort who likes coffee shops, bookstores, and bars, I go to some and try to socialize. What with many of my colleagues either being a lot older than I am or married, there weren't many opportunities to go out with people I knew-- so I had to explore. Which is fine with me. I like exploring-- the problem is that the intelligence about the local scene wasn't there.

I went to Hal & Mal's a few times (pre-Pub Quiz) and was unimpressed. I went to the Forum & was unimpressed with it. Yeah, it was big, but there was no atmosphere to speak of. I went to Musiquarium pretty frequently. Its problem was different-- it was too small. I like smaller places, but I also like to be able to move around. It got to be so bad for me that I stopped going to Musiquarium. A few months afterwards, Musiquarium closed.

Bookstores are cool. My oldest friend here in Jackson that I made was at Barnes & Noble is Jen. I don't know if she knows it, but she's helped me a lot. She is a true friend & whenever I see her, I have to smile. Thanks to Jen, I met T.D & later became aware of Martin's, which is where I've met a lot of my friends & acquaintances here in Jackson.

At about that same time (May 2003), my father had died. It was right at the end of the spring semester. I wanted to do something different. I was a little disenchanted with the coffee houses as far as a place to socialize. And even though I like my Shiner Bock & Hoegaarden, I am loath to get drunk. When you grow up in a small town & know people who were alcoholics and died because of alcoholism, it can make an impression.

So anyway, I went to Pub Quiz. Normally I wouldn't have been able to go because I normally worked Tuesday nights, but with school not being in session, I could go, so I did. The first time I went, I was my own team & did pretty well-- didn't finish in the money, but did much better than would be expected for a solo player. The second time I went I saw Jen & T.D. and asked I could team up with them.

And through PQ, I've become acquainted with a lot of people (you can see many of their photos at T.D.'s site), made a bunch of friends-- some of whom I later find out are people I am somewhat distantly related to (if you're keeping score-- second cousins once removed, I think)-- but not of the guy wearing the cap in the second photo.

The last time I had something to drink in Martin's was the first weekend in April. That was a pretty strange weekend for me. My father would have turned 80 that weekend if he were still living. I was not in the best of moods & had way too much to drink that Friday night. I spent the night at T.D.'s house.

The next week all heck breaks loose with the bar scene in Jackson. Now I'll confess. Even though I've made criticisms of the Forum & Musiquarium, it's not the places that ultimately matter to me. It's the people. Many people-- many of them friends and acquaintances-- were upset. And because they were upset, I was sad.

I went to George Street pretty often, but as Bucky said-- the Putsch was unsuccessful. I go to PQ at Hal & Mal's somewhat often-- not as often as I once did-- because it's a slightly different atmosphere. A lot of the people are still there, which is good, but I go about once a month now-- I've not been since the third birthday PQ though. I teamed up with the Episcopalian minister from Justice League whose name escapes me at the moment, a couple of college students, and a high school student. We finished in second.

There's a part of me that wishes things were the same, but I know change happens. Sometimes change is cool. Sometimes change sucks. There's always the people though. Thank goodness for the people.

4 Comments:

At 18 August, 2005 11:51, Blogger The Diplomat said...

Nice recollecting, and you're right, people make the difference, but as I age atmosphere becomes more and more important. Atmosphere affects the way the people feel and how they interact and, ultimately, feel about each other. Not definitively, but there’s something.

 
At 18 August, 2005 14:38, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Yeah, you're right. There is something. Atmosphere certainly affects people. Conversely, people also affect the atmosphere. It's symbiotic.

 
At 19 August, 2005 09:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post, Lib.

 
At 20 August, 2005 17:03, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home