23 March 2006

Sheriff Billy McGee

In the past several weeks, there have been several articles written about Forrest County sheriff Billy McGee's legal difficulties in the aftermath of his commandeering ice trucks from Camp Shelby on September 4. There's even been a song written about him.

I lived in Hattiesburg when I was a graduate student at USM, and my mother now lives just outside Hattiesburg in Lamar County. I've also blogged about my experiences traveling down to her house and being there post-Katrina. She was really fortunate.

Now, Sheriff McGee's story has made it to CNN-- Anderson Cooper's blog, specifically. A lot of people may not understand how bad things were when Katrina struck, but when you consider that a brother killed his sister over a bag of ice in Hattiesburg, you certainly cannot fault the sheriff for taking action. I know I'm not.

I wish Sheriff McGee the best.

2 Comments:

At 24 March, 2006 16:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Busted flat in Hattiesburg?

 
At 26 March, 2006 20:14, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Heh, no.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home