10 August 2005

Mississippi Chinese & Grocery Stores

I was sitting at a local watering hole with T.D. and Laura last night and somehow the subject of China & Chinatowns came up. I remember reading Lotus Among the Magnolias, a book about the Mississippi Chinese several years ago. This Mississippi History web site has some good info about Chinese life in the Delta in the last century.

Thumbing through Magnolia Report, I noticed this Greenwood Commonwealth article about the decreasing number of Chinese groceries in the Mississippi Delta. Unfortunately, that's not unusual. It seems to me that the number of family-owned groceries here in Mississippi has decreased. My family owned a grocery store for some fifteen years. Fortunately, we sold out before the local Wal-Marts started selling groceries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home