08 August 2005

A Thomas Wolfe Day

This morning, I went home again.

No, not Hattiesburg where my mother lives. Heidelberg, where I grew up.

I attended a funeral of the widow of one of my father's first cousins. I'd known her for it seems like all my life-- and you know, it has been. Until now.

The funeral was a graveside service at the family cemetery. I saw people I'd not seen in years. I saw cousins I'd not seen in years. Some of their names I remembered. Some of the names, I didn't remember. Nothing impersonal. I'm just absolutely terrible with names. I'm such a stranger now.

I visited with them for awhile. I met one cousin's (if you're keeping score at home: my second cousin once removed) husband for the first time. Nearly everyone told me that I'm looking more and more like my father, which is kind of bittersweet. He died a little over two years ago. But I do have his eyebrows, that's for sure.

I also reacquainted myself with a cousin's pet Boxer-- that playful puppy is now nine years old and has grey hair.

I went by the old homeplace before I went to the funeral. Looks different. It just doesn't have that same feeling though.

I dropped by my old school on the way back. I met up with a teacher I knew & a couple of students from when I was there who are now teachers there. I visited with them for a little while & got the football coach's cellphone number as well as a football schedule. I've written some for a high school sports magazine in the Hattiesburg area. I've known the owners for years. I'll write some more for them.

I'm now at my mother's house at Hattiesburg, I'll rest a bit & then head on up to Jackson this evening. I've got to be at work tomorrow morning.

2 Comments:

At 08 August, 2005 21:22, Blogger The Diplomat said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.

It sounds like you were rewarded with a long overdue reunion of sorts.

 
At 09 August, 2005 08:30, Blogger The Library Guy said...

Thanks, & yeah, I believe I was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home