09 November 2005

Under the Volcano

For the benefit of those readers who aren't in the book club, I'd been reading Under the Volcano for a little over a month and finished it last week shortly before our last UTV meeting.

Here's some of my commentary (yes, copied & pasted, but edited).

Book Club was enjoyable. The company, cameraderie, and Coronas certainly were positives.

I think the thing that's struck me most so far about UTV is the obvious gap between Geoffrey & Hugh and Yvonne. Geoffrey, to me, recognizes that things are changing to something he doesn't like-- war. With him being the oldest of this trio, he's got a different perspective than Hugh. Geoffrey's war weary and Hugh's the opposite. And Geoffrey's an alcoholic.

I don't know what to think yet. It's beginning to look like one of those books I'd normally have to read more than once. And, it is. I think I proposed that this book be an annual read during October and culminating in a Day of the Dead/Under the Volcano party. I've not begun reading Chapter 5 yet so I can't even begin to try to address Anne's thoughts. I don't know what to think yet. But that particular problem will be addressed the more I get into the book. When I finish the book, who knows what I'll think of UTV as of the end of Chapter 4.

This is admittedly a little bit different format for me than I'm accustomed. I'm traditionally a speed reader. There's no way I could speed read UTV, but not having read the book previously & not looking ahead kind is interesting. I'm looking forward to reading all of it, but am doing my best not to. I want to whet my appetite instead of gulping it down.

I thought November 2 was a most apropos day to meet if I do say so myself.

The discussion and cameraderie was excellent. The food (from Moe's) was awesome. The beer, excellent. I'm not sure about the mezcal though. After we talked, we watched the film version of the book.

We were disappointed. Major characters were cut out. Events that happened in the book were changed-- and I think for the worse.

The book, though, is good. Powerful, even if I do say so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home